What Is A Veterinary Dermatology Specialist?
Human and animal skin diseases are often similar, which means an overlap in training for all dermatologists. But animal skin disorders can be as varied as the pets who visit a veterinarian—sometimes even occurring in only one type of animal. Just imagine the difference in skin disease between a puppy and a pet lizard. Veterinary dermatologists require extensive education and training to recognize, diagnose and treat such a wide range of skin conditions. In fact, today there are only a few hundred ACVD board-certified dermatologists practicing worldwide.
Veterinary Dermatology Specialists are trained in an extremely wide range of treatment options to address problems ranging from allergies to skin cancer. And a dermatology issue can actually be much more than skin deep, indicating an internal disease. Expertise in internal medicine, immunology, and allergy helps veterinary dermatologists work with the larger picture of an animal’s health that skin can provide.
Dr. Mitchell Song completed his specialty training and residency at the University of California at Davis, College of Veterinary Medicine. He is board-certified in dermatology by the American College of Veterinary Dermatology.
Dermatology Conditions Treated:
We are experts in managing many diseases and problems of the skin including:
- environmental allergies (atopic dermatitis)
- food allergies
- recurrent bacterial skin infections
- methicillin resistant bacterial skin infections
- ear disease (otitis externa)
- superfical and deep fungal infections (ringworm)
- autoimmune and immune mediated skin disease (lupus)
- hormone replacement therapy
- skin cancer
Dermatology Services Include:
- Allergy Testing and Immunotherapy
– Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Cryosurgery and Cryotherapy
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Plastic and Cutaneous Surgery
- Skin Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
- Total Ear Canal Ablation (TECA)
- Video Otoscopy and Surgery
American College of Veterinary Dermatology
- 27 Sep 2019VetMED Offers Advanced Surgical Services for Dogs and CatsYour family veterinarian can handle many of your pet’s surgical...
- 24 Sep 2019VetMED Doctors to Speak at Local Small Animal Specialist MeetingAzVMA Winter Small Animal Specialist Meeting On Saturday, November 16t...