The holidays are a joyous time, but don’t let them become a hazard to your beloved pet! Here are some common holiday safety hazards for your pets.
1. Holiday Baking
Even small amounts of raisins and grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs and potentially, cats. Any ingestion of raisins or grapes should be treated as a “poisoning” case. Symptoms include vomiting, nausea, decreased appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, and severe kidney failure.
- Amaryllis can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- Raw bread dough can also be toxic to cats and dogs.
2. Artificial Sweeteners
The artificial sweetener Xylitol, found in some sugar-free baked goods, can cause your pet’s blood glucose to drop to dangerously low levels. Make sure these tasty treats are set up high for you and your guests, and out of pets’ reach.
Consumption of chocolate in pets can cause agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, cardiac arrhythmias, tremors, seizures, and even death. Keep chocolate baked goods and candy out of your pets’ reach.
Read on for more information on Chocolate Toxicity >
4. Candles & Fragrances
Burning candles and hot wax left unattended can cause burns, injuries, and house fires. Oftentimes pets don’t realize something is hot until they get burned.
Exposure to liquid potpourri can cause skin or oral damage.
5. Lights & Electrical Cords
Keep lights and extension cords out of pets’ reach or use a taste deterrent spray if necessary. If chewed, live electrical cords can cause burns in or around a pet’s mouth, difficulty breathing, seizures, and lead to cardiac arrest.
Pets should never ingest alcoholic beverages because alcohol depresses the nervous system.
Alcohol may cause vomiting, disorientation, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of coordination, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma, and seizures.
7. Glow sticks or glow jewelry
Items that glow are common for use in Halloween costumes and jewelry, but while they may add to the festivity of the season, they pose a threat to your pet. The liquid contents can cause severe pain and irritation in your pet’s mouth, as well as profuse drooling and foaming at the mouth. Not all glow sticks and glow jewelry contain ingredients that are life-threatening to your pet, however seek immediate veterinary care if you think your pet has ingested the contents.
In the case of emergency, contact VETMED at (602) 697-4694, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Stay in touch by subscribing to our mailing list!
- 27 Sep 2019VetMED Offers Advanced Surgical Services for Dogs and Cats
- 24 Sep 2019VetMED Doctors to Speak at Local Small Animal Specialist Meeting
- 23 Jul 2019Summer Safety for Arizona Pets
- 08 Jul 2019FDA Releases the Latest Report of their Investigation into Potential Link Between Grain-Free Diets and Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- 24 May 2019Cushing’s Disease in Dogs