Within VetMED’s Cardiology department, our board-certified cardiology specialists offer diagnostic evaluations and therapy for animals with cardiovascular disease, respiratory disorders, or those requiring minimally-invasive treatment options.
Tests & Evaluations
Animals, from dogs and cats, to horses, are evaluated based on a thorough physical examination and a review of medical history, followed by additional tests as needed that may include the following:
- Cardiac ultrasounds (Echocardiography) – examines the structure and function of the heart
- Electrocardiograms (EKG, ECG) – Evaluates the electrical activity of the heart
- Holter Monitor
- Loop Recorders
- Radiographs ( X-rays)
- CT (Computed Tomography)
- Blood Pressure Monitoring
Using the most advanced techniques, some of the common procedures available include:
- Implanting permanent pacemakers
- Catheter based occlusion of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- Inserting a balloon device to expand narrow blood vessels or cardiac valves
Signs of Cardiac or Respiratory Disease
You should seek veterinary care immediately if your pet is demonstrating any combination of these signs which may be caused by cardiac or respiratory disease:
- Breathing difficulty
- Shortness of breath
- Decreased exercise capacity
Our efforts are dedicated to assure safe and effective long-term health management of pets with heart disease and our specialized care is focused to improve and maintain quality of life.
Stay in touch by subscribing to our mailing list!
- 17 Mar 2020COVID-19 Updates
- 22 Jan 2020My Dog is Limping—Now What?
- 02 Dec 2019Common Holiday Pet Emergencies You Can Prevent
- 27 Sep 2019VetMED Offers Advanced Surgical Services for Dogs and Cats
- 24 Sep 2019VetMED Doctors to Speak at Local Small Animal Specialist Meeting